|The hony, this evening... He's cute.|
The hony has been, um, expressively bad as of late. Both under saddle and the handful of times I've lunged to see if it was me or saddle fit. Sigh. Typically this means he's uncomfortable. That could be saddle fit, in need of a chiro/massage, needs his feet tweaked with, whatever. It occasionally also means he's not getting enough turnout, the weather's been crazy, or his feed is making him hot. So let's go down the list:
- Saddle fit - Yup, could be. He's lost a lot of topline (due to losing TONS of weight last winter, ulcers, no work, lyme and some more no work) and we're building it back now. I'm using a shimmable pad so I'm doing the best I can. Can't afford a saddle fitter at this time for a more professional opinion. Also, he's been bad when I lunge without a saddle so while I think the saddle fit isn't the best, it's probably not the only problem.
- In need of a chiro/massage - Yup, could be. One of the lovely ladies at Digby's barn actually took a look at him tonight. She does some "energy work" but it was free and I figured no harm, no foul. It was fairly interesting when I convinced my science based self to be open minded. I'm going to see how he goes tomorrow.
- Needs his feet tweaked - I mean, maybe? Probably not? His feet have looked the best they've looked since I've been back in PA. Does this mean it's working for him? No, but they look awful good. I'll chat with my farrier the next time he's out.
- Turnout - Seriously doubt it. They go out for 7-8 hours a day. In the area I live, that's a lot of turnout.
- Weather - Ehhh. It's fall and I get it. It's cooler, they're feeling better. His bad isn't "whoo it's cool! I'm feeling good!" though. It's more "I don't want to so SCREW YOU LADY."
- Feed - Seriously doubt it. He gets almost unlimited grass hay plus about 6 lbs of Tribute Maturity which isn't particularly high in sugar/starches. In an ideal world, I'd keep him on TC Senior but that's not included in my horses board and again, money.
Not a whole lot else to say about that topic. I've done a lot of thinking, not a whole lot of whining, and too much adulting.
I'm trying to not think of the doom (AHH MY HORSE IS GOING TO GO LAME AND I'LL BE STUCK WITH HIM FOREVERRRR AND FOREVER BE BROKE OVER A HORSE I CAN'T RIDE AND IT'S GOING TO SUCK) and just continue on with my life. Full disclosure: I have asked around a bit lately to see if anyone wants a companion horse. It's not 100% what I want but.... Ya know. Digby and I do this shit. Every. Single. Year. Every damn year. Usually more than once a year. He tells me not so nicely that I can fluff off. I tell him not so nicely that I do everything I can to make sure he's comfortable and happy and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HORSE WILL YOU JUST BEHAVE?!? So then I fuss and worry and sometimes we come to an agreement and sometimes I get so frustrated that I give him some time off and he comes back fine at a later point. I'm not sure what to do about it now or in the future. Maybe he's made to be a pasture puff. Maybe I just need to learn how to ride. Hahahah.
Being an adult sucks.